GoDaddy Web Hosting & Domain Registration Service Review
Sure, GoDaddy Is The Best Domain Registrant But Is It Good Web Hoster?
Some may compare GoDaddy with the Amazon of web hosting. Today it’s the world’s largest ICANN-accredited registrar that serves more than 14 million customers and has about 63 million domains under its management. In May 2015, GoDaddy IPO valued the company at nearly $3 billion. The company’s headquarters are located in Scottsdale, Arizona.
In the US, GoDaddy is also known for its viral TV ads featuring sexy-looking girls and controversial sexed-up ads at the Super Bowl. Another thing the company is known for is the strong affection for celebrities, who are frequently participate in its marketing campaigns. The list includes “America’s Toughest Trainer” Jillian Michaels, actor Jean-Claude van Damme, and former WWE diva Candice Michelle.
The company was founded in 1997 by Bob Parsons, a retiree who sold his financial software services company in the middle of 1990s. He came out of retirement to launch what later became the top web hosting company for online businesses. First known as Jomax Technologies, the company soon changed its name to a well-known now GoDaddy. In 2000, the company became an ICANN-accredited registrar and already in four years became the largest one in the world. Moreover, for five consecutive years (2005-2010) GoDaddy has been ranked as “Best Registrar” by DomainNameWire.com.
Bob Parsons, who remained the driving force of the company for 17 years, left the position of CEO in 2014 and disposed of more than 70% of his stake. Blake Irving has been named a new CEO of the company. Under his leadership, GoDaddy changed its focus to small business and startups. Today the company empowers entrepreneurs to promptly and easily start and effectively run their venture. GoDaddy has about 70% in the share in dot com in the US.
Web Hosting Details
GoDaddy offers three main Windows/Linux hosting plans: Economy, Deluxe, and Ultimate. Economy Web Hosting plan for launching a very basic site costs just $3.99 per month. Deluxe package for running multiple sites costs $6.99 per month. Ultimate plan for handling complex sites and heaviest traffic has a price of $9.99 per month. All these packages are on sale now, and the prices are heavily discounted.
But there is no point of rushing with a purchase as GoDaddy is famous for its constant discounts on various of services. In the Coupon section of its website, you can always find hot deals on hosting plans. In general, new users most likely get a discount when purchasing an annual plan. Another way to save money is to find a coupon across the Internet and get GoDaddy promo codes.
GoDaddy offers three options of servers for hosting that answer today’s demand for cloud infrastructure: cloud servers, virtual private servers, and dedicated servers. Cloud server plans have many options, from purchasing 20 GB of cloud space to 30 GB, 40 GB, 60 GB, and 80 Gb. Prices vary from $7.99 per month (20 GB) to $115.99 per month (80 GB). All cloud server plans you can try for free for 30 days.
A managed or fully managed virtual private server is a good option for those who don’t want to pay extra for dedicated web hosting but at the same time want a solution that is more powerful than a shared web hosting. On a shared server, you rely on the performance of the platform. With VPS, you can select a configuration that suits best for your applications and business requirements. In comparison with other hosting providers, GoDaddy is one of the few who offers Windows VPS hosting and provides control of underlying OS. There are five VPS plans available: 1 GB RAM with 40GB of storage for $33.99 per month, 2 GB RAM with 60GB of storage for $40.99 per month, 3 GB RAM with 90GB of storage for $47.99 per month, 4 GB RAM with 120GB of storage for $67.99 per month, and 8 GB RAM with 240GB of storage for $119.99 per month.
For higher traffic and security GoDaddy offers dedicated servers. The options include 2 GB RAM with 512GB of storage for $109.99, 4 GB RAM with 1TB of storage for $149.99, 8 GB RAM with 1,5TB of storage for $199.99, 16 GB RAM with 2TB of storage for $249.99, and 32 GB RAM with 2TB of storage for $299.99. Every dedicated server comes with Web Host Manager that helps to customise an account and manage a server.
Web Hosting Features
- Economy Web Hosting plan includes a free .com, .co, .net or .org domain name with purchase of a 12-, 24- or 36-month plan, 1 website, 100GB disk space, 50 FTP users, SQL 2012 or 2014 hosting, 1 x 200 MB MSSQL, 10 x 1 GB MySQL databases, SQL 2012 or 2014 hosting, database backup/restore, direct database access, 100 MB total email storage, 100 addresses, DNS management, access with www, unlimited number of external, alias, and subdomains, FTP over SSL (FTPS), raw access logs, site statistics, an unlimited amount of storage and bandwidth, and 24/7 phone/email support.
- Deluxe Web Hosting plan comes with a free .com, .co, .net or .org domain name with purchase of a 12-, 24- or 36-month plan, multiple websites, unlimited disk space, 50 FTP users, SQL 2012 or 2014 hosting, 2x200MB MSSQL, 25 x 1 GB MySQL databases, SQL 2012 or 2014 hosting, database backup/restore, direct database access, 500 MB total email storage, 500 addresses, DNS management, access with www, unlimited number of external, alias, and subdomains, FTP over SSL (FTPS), raw access logs, site statistics, an unlimited amount of storage and bandwidth, and 24/7 phone/email support.
- Ultimate Web Hosting plan offers a free .com, .co, .net or .org domain name with purchase of a 12-, 24- or 36-month plan, multiple websites, unlimited disk space, ulimited number of FTP users, SQL 2012 or 2014 hosting, unlimited x 200MB MSSQL, unlimited x 1 GB MySQL databases, SQL 2012 or 2014 hosting, database backup/restore, direct database access, 1 GB total email storage, 1000 addresses, premium DNS, access with www, unlimited number of external, alias, and subdomains, FTP over SSL (FTPS), raw access logs, site statistics, an unlimited amount of storage and bandwidth, and 24/7 phone/email support.
All plans include 1-click install of 125+ free applications. (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.), on-the-fly resource upgrades, 1GB database storage (MySQL Linux), 24/7 security monitoring and DDoS protection, 1-click setup for GoDaddy registered domains.
Linux Plan comes with a cPanel, a UNIX web-based control panel that helps users easily manage their hosting account, setup and control their site with powerful and easy-to-use tools. cPanel covers a large number of functions, including file management, email and software configurations, settings and security, setting up subdomains, addon domains, and parked domains, tracking performance, and managing databases.
GoDaddy’s version of WordPress hosting comes in four tiers of Linux-based hosting: Basic, Deluxe, Ultimate, and Developer.
- Economy plan costs $5.99 per month and comes with 1 website, 25,000 monthly visitors, 10GB SSD storage, SFTP access, and a free domain (with annual plan).
- Deluxe plan ($6.99 per month) includes one website, 100,000 monthly visitors, 15GB SSD storage, SSH/SFTP access, free domain (with annual plan), one-click staging site, and search engine optimisation plug-in.
- Ultimate plan costs $11.99 per month and offers the ability to host two sites, 400,000 monthly visitors, 30GB SSD storage, SSH/SFTP access, free domain (with annual plan), one-click staging site, search engine optimization fortwo websites, one SSL certificate – 1 year free ($99.99 renewal annually), and a malware scan tool for two websites.
- Finally, the most comprehensive Developer package ($19.99 per month) comes with five websites, 800,000 monthly visitors, 50GB SSD storage, SSH/SFTP access, free domain (with annual plan), one-click staging site, and one SSL certificate – 1 year free ($99.99 renewal annually).
Along with the preinstalled version of the popular CMS, you get nightly backups with 1-click restore, DDoS protection, server optimisation, automatic core software and security updates. Signed up users also get access to thousands of themes and plug-ins. Those who won’t be satisfied with GoDaddy services can get a full refund. As it’s noted on the website, this offer is valid for annual plans within 30 days of purchase and within 48 hours of purchase for monthly plans. All hosting plans are connected to the latest version of WordPress. So you can start building a blog or a website from a control panel right after you log in.
For those who don’t have time or skills to build a website, GoDaddy offers Website Builder. This tool comes in three packages: for personal websites (Personal), for small Businesses (Business), and for growing business needs (Business plus).
- Personal package comes with 50 personal themes, 1 GB disk space, and 150 GB bandwidth.
- Business plan gives you access to 300 business and personal themes, 10 GB disk space, 500 GB bandwidth, and creates a mobile version of your site.
- Business plus includes 300 business and personal themes, 50 GB disk space, 1,000 GB bandwidth, a tool to launch a mobile site, search engine optimization, and a social media manager tool.
The greatest thing about Website Builder is that you can try it free for a one-month period. GoDaddy also offers dozens of popular social and business apps to keep your site fresh including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, PayPal, and many others.
Hosting services also include options of creating a dedicated hosting IP for $8.99 per month and securing your website with Premium DNS for $3.39 per month. Premium DNS guarantees 99.999% uptime for unlimited websites, which means your site will be available 24/7. This service also provides security protection that comes in hand in today’s risky cyber-environment. Those who don’t want to pay extra for a unique IP address or joining Premium DNS infrastructure can always wait for discount codes as the company gives them quite generously. So if you’re looking for a better price you can always check some GoDaddy coupon pages.
- GoDaddy offers the cheapest service in the market. Even though first the company started as a domain registrar now it’s a threat to many hosting providers. Along with the low prices, GoDaddy constantly publishes promo codes and offers coupons to attract new customers. That’s the great way to start your engagement with a company and benefit from the cheapest hosting features during the whole year.
- The amount of storage and bandwidth is unlimited. That means that your website can visit hundreds and thousands of people at once. Even if your website suddenly gets huge traffic you won’t need to pay extra for it (as some host providers require).
- GoDaddy WordPress Hosting deserves special mentioning as well. A pre-installed CMS makes it ridiculously easy to launch a website or a blog in just one click. That’s a huge benefit in comparison with hosting plans of other providers where you need to manually install CMS on a server.
- GoDaddy is also known for its personalised telephone support. You can get help both online and offline (via phone) 24/7. Not many providers can offer such award-winning customer service. Some even say that GoDaddy’s customer service is exceptional. You can contact GoDaddy team from anywhere around the globe. GoDaddy provides video tutorials and offers articles on Linux and Windows hosting. Moreover, the company has a huge online community that can help you to solve your issues.
- The company offers a whole package of services, from selling domain names to hosting and even email marketing. This way you can purchase every service you need in one place and tie them all in together.
- There is no option to pay for hosting on a month-to-month basis in its Economy package. Of course, it is not a turning point but still can cause some troubles for tight-budget users who are not ready to commit to an annual plan right away.
- GoDaddy is a huge corporation so it has all disadvantages big companies usually suffer from. Foreign call centers with people who sometimes speak English so poor you can hardly understand them. Long customer complaints procedures and inpersonal style of writing.
- Customer reviews of company’s web hosting services vary from positive to negative, which makes it hard to make a general conclusion on their quality. Some note a high uptime percentage while others report problems with the availability of websites due to extensive downtime problems.
- When it comes to “unlimited” options, GoDaddy makes a remark that it’s unlimited as long as it complies with the company’s Hosting Agreement. What does it mean? If your traffic starts to pose a threat to the operation of the company’s services you will have to either to upgrade to a better server or to work on reducing your traffic.
GoDaddy is suitable for personal and commercial hosting purposes. It’s a solid and cheap web hosting that offers various options both for beginners and professional developers. GoDaddy has tonnes of documentation online that helps customers solve their problems on their own. New users most often can get a discount when purchasing one of GoDaddy hosting packages. It’s great for hosting websites that don’t have special requirements.
This is one of the best domain registration. Their we hosting service is also good enough to you. We recommend it.